Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mineral Makeup Review : Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Powder Foundation SPF 20

It's a bit rare that I review mineral makeup that is sold in department stores, moreso luxury brands. There's been too much mineral makeup brands that I'm actually getting confused with the plethora of brands, and varieties, but when I see something exceptional, I definitely know it is out of the ordinary!

I'm starting this entry saying that Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Powder must be my dream mineral makeup. I'll tell you why!

First, it's still in powder mineral form, the purest form of minerals. I'm not exactly fond of pressed mineral makeup, or liquid mineral makeup, I don't know why, but my affinity lies in mineral foundations in powder form. Maybe it's just that it's in the purest form, in my opinion.

Second, let me drool about the packaging. If all mineral makeup companies would come up with the packaging, then competition would be really hard. Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Powder steps up among the rest with its packaging - it has listened to its market that one barrier to using mineral foundation or switching from traditional makeup to mineral makeup is how mineral makeup in powder form is very messy application wise. It deviates from the usual sifter pot, with a compact that opens a "sifter" that disposes product as you twist it, it is definitely one big improvement and one motivating and encouraging factor to use mineral makeup! I would have to say that it only lacks just one thing - something to cover the swirling sifter so that if the "swirled" minerals don't get all used up, they won't get all messy to the powder puff. It's almost perfect!

Okay, after swooning over the packaging, let me get to the contents - the most important part of the review.

Some of the ingredients of the Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Powder are :

Sea Water Minerals - sea water contains all of the elements present in the human body, so it is especially compatible with skin. It's rich in calcium and magnesium, essential elements that support skin's own natural mineral equilibrium to strengthen skin's appearance

Mica - Adds luminosity and reflects light for a soft focus look.

Silica - Spherical powder gives a smooth feel and helps soften imperfections.

Magnesium myristate - Creates a soft, luxurious texture

Vitamins A, C, and E - Condition skin and help protect against environmental assaults.

Aloe - Soothing and moisturizing

Titanium Dioxide - a mineral that provides natural skin protection

Complete list of ingredients :

mica, dimethicone, nylon-12, zinc stearate, silica methicone, squalene, magnesium mystirate, sea saltmaris sal/sel marin, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, silk powde/serica poudre de soie, ascorbyl palminatet, retinyl palmitate, tocopherol, glycine soja ( soybean) oil, alumina, oryza sativa ( rice ) starch , butylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben, sodium dehydroacetate ( may contain bismuth oxychloridem, carmine, iron oxides, titanium dioxide )

The texture of Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Powder Foundation is semi-fine, and semi-coarse. Take note that I am more in favor of coarse textured mineral foundations because they provide coverage, and I was very glad that it was not so fine like other mineral foundations sold in department stores, that I can only use as a layer on top of my full coverage mineral foundations. The coverage of Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Powder Foundation is medium, and can be layered for a full coverage.

As you see that there is bismuth oxychloride in the formula, I think that explains why my skin looks a bit glowy, and fresh. In this very tropical country of Singapore, my skin did not itch a bit despite the ingredient, and I only found out about it as I read the label on the box, as I have continuously worn it for 2 straight days last weekend, as I was feeling lazy to layer up so much thick mineral foundation on my face. It took me about three layers of mineral foundation to achieve medium coverage here , as my skin is very problematic and it's breakout time right now.

The effect on me , I could say, is almost the same as Bare Escentuals'. It made me look like I had really good skin, my skin glowed, and it lasted all throughout the day. The oil control of this mineral powder foundation, though it had silica that I feel can already suffice for those who have mildly oily skin ( please do not mind me, my skin is horribly oily, almost impossible ), the oil control actually lasted for quite a while before it oiled up, but the oiliness looked dewy, so it was a good thing, though I knew myself that my skin was getting oily already.

The finish and look on me was really natural that I would love to wear this on an everyday basis. I would have to say that I've found a good mineral foundation here, and comparing to Artdeco, well, they're sort of at par, but Elizabeth Arden's feels more comfortable, and less heavy on the skin. This is one of the best, if not , the best brand of luxury mineral makeup that I've tried so far.

The shade selections are quite versatile. I'm shade number 05, a medium beige shade, and 04 looks a bit fair, and on the pink side, but my friend also tried 05, who is very fair, and her skin did not darken up, which means that the shades are very versatile, specially when worn just sheerly. The difference comes in when you layer it up for more coverage.

The Face Powder Brush also happens to be very good. It's synthetic, and with the fear of it not buffing efficiently for coverage, the brush being really dense compensates, being an excellent buffer, that can provide full coverage. It's an angled buffer brush that gives really even coverage, and you can even use it for your mineral blush.

Elizabeth Arden Pure Finish Mineral Powder Foundation earns a huge thumbs up for me. I can just toss it in my handbag without any problems, and use it as my pressed powder for touchups , and while I'm at home, I can always layer for a full coverage makeup look. If all mineral makeup were packaged like this, everyone would want to switch to mineral makeup!

No comments:

Post a Comment